I always get really excited about this recipe ….it’s super simple and I got to use up things that were close to expiring! It can be modified in pretty much anyway and it’ll be delicious. This version is the simplest of simple. You can add or change whatever you want – the way I have it below makes it creamy and ….not super thick, but a thicker soup. Whatever, it’s delish and you need to make it with bacon.
Word of advice, don’t use whole wheat flour. Yes, it’s healthier. But your soup will turn out yellow/brown and have a different consistency and texture. If that doesn’t bother you – full speed ahead! If it does, use whatever you have on hand. I, of course, had whole wheat flour on hand.
There are a few things you can add at the bottom. Then again, if you think something will taste good in it, throw it in! That’s the fun of cooking!
Simple Potato Soup
2 beef, chicken, or vegetable bouillon cubes ((they’re supposed to be 1 cube to 1 cup of water but I find that overpowering. use your own judgement))
4 cups water
4 potatoes of your choice, washed and cubed
1 cup milk or heavy cream
1/4 c flour
1/2 c shredded cheese of your choice ((I used our left over Muenster))
1/2 c sour cream
salt & pepper
1. Wash and cube potatoes. No need to peel unless you have something against the skins. Pop ’em in a pot and boil until fork tender.
2. While that’s happening, bring the water to a boil so the bouillon cubes will dissolve. You can use canned broth here instead. Once it’s boiling put the heat on med or med/high.
3. Stir the flour into the milk/cream.
4. Add the mixture and the shredded cheese to your broth ((once everything’s dissolved))
5. When the potatoes are ready, drain them, then add them to the pot with everything else. While everything is heating through, you have a couple options: If you like the soup creamy, grab a masher and go crazy. If you like it chunky, just hang out. If you like it in between, mash a bit, then hang out.
6. Add the sour cream and stir until it’s incorporated.
7. Cook on med for another 7 – 10 minutes.
8. Serve with garnishes. Devour.
I was sad and had no bacon so I had to make due without. Bacon makes it that much more amazing. Also, if you have carrots and celery USE THEM. I’m serious! This time around I was just trying to use up the milk, cheese, and potatoes. Because I was too lazy to go to the store, actually….