Dining Room Chair Redo

I keep telling you how I’ve almost finished my chairs, or that I’m working on the dining room this week, or that I’m redoing the chairs…. Well, I finally am putting something up about them :0)

Just so you know, I am not a perfectionist and I am not a professional.  I do this cuz I can, my daddy has power tools, and I needed chairs.

The Hubby and I got four chairs and a fold out table from one of my friends who was in the process of moving to Florida ((lucky lady!)) and didn’t want to take most of her furniture with her.

Each of the chairs turned out a slight bit different…. I applied the same amount of stain, the same way, and used the same amount of polyurethane, but they are each a different shade of dark walnut.

I did get a smidgen of blue on two of the seats but since I’ll be making seat covers eventually I wasn’t that worried about it.

These chairs were in okay condition when I got them, but part of the seat on two of them had rub through to the original wood, there was gum and spaghetti sauce on the spindles, and some of the wood was showing through from under the black paint in places.  The Hubby and I really like dark wood but when I started these chairs ((in July)) I didn’t have any set plan for the dining room.

So, I did the easy decision part first – I used my father’s portable sander and 60 grit paper to start.   I sanded down as much of the chair seat as I could reach – there was a small amount by the spindles that the sander couldn’t reach.  I ended up hand sanding those.  After doing the seat, I sanded down the sides of the chairs.  The spindles I left alone for the time being.  After most of everything was off, I used 150 grit to go over it, edges and all, then wiped the chair down.  I did not use the fine grit to sand by the spindles.

I’ve redone a few other pieces of furniture ((two coffee tables and two end tables so far)) already and used Rust-Oleum’s Dark Walnut.  I also used Rust-Oleum polyurethane.  I took the Dark Walnut stain, while wearing gloves, and a paper towel ((you can use a sock too, but I’ve found this method spreads the stain more evenly than a brush or roller.  Plus you can chuck them and not have to worry about clean up!)) dipped in the stain, and spread it on, one line at a time, making sure NOT to overlap.  I wiped it around the edges, too, then did a quick second coat.

This dries in about an hour, but I left it for two.  I used three coats of polyurethane,   which needs two hours in between coats.  Make SURE there aren’t any puddles around the spindles or edges!  Just smooth is out if that happens.  I left them sit overnight and the next day used a paper bag and painters tape to cover all the work I had done.  I used small pieces to get around the spindles, then did two coats ((can and a half)) of Exotic Sea, a Valspar Spray Paint, letting it dry for two hours in between again.  I had to spray in awkward angles sometimes to get proper coverage in all the crevasses.  I finished this up with a clear coat spray paint just in case.  Plus it gave it a little extra sheen!

And tada!! The chairs just need seat covers and then they’re done….

Advertisements
This entry was published on November 24, 2012 at 2:32 pm. It’s filed under Tutorial and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Follow any comments here with the RSS feed for this post.

One thought on “Dining Room Chair Redo

  1. Nice job! speaking of refinished dining chairs… you might like this one! http://sklnewyork.wordpress.com/2012/08/19/a-dramatic-dining-chair-diy/

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: